Thursday, January 05, 2006

I've been in Mexico fourish days now.

My roomie here in Mexico City is a girl named Claudia, who is a native Mexican. She works with the food and merchandise.

Yesterday we had load in. We loaded the set, costumes, props, etc. into the theatre. I am horribly out of shape, I was out of breath a lot of the time. I was so exhausted when I came back to the hotel, I just put on my jammies and crawled in bed.

Tuesday, Claudia and I went out. We went to a little hole in the wall for lunch, and then we went to a grocery store. I was horrified to realize it was owned by Wal*Mart. We bought a few things and brought them back to the hotel. We had the hotel clean out the mini-bar so we could use the fridge. Later, after I took a nap, we went across the street to a little restaurant called Karisma and I had enchiladas for dinner. I've leaned to stay clear of any green sauces . . . . they will burn the hell out of your mouth.

My sinuses hurt, a lot. I am constantly blowing my nose. I don't know what's wrong. I'm hoping I'm just adjusting to the climate.

On a side note, Cokes here are really tasty. They're not quite like the American counterpart, but they are really good. When I was at the grocery store, I bought a 12 pack. Then later today I realized that Cokes here are made with real sugar. . . not corn syrup like that are in the States.

My first show was tonight at 6:30. I was really freaked out by the whole having to dress five characters that I've never touched before, but all went rather well. They're costumes are really really nice. The character suits I'm used to from SeaWorld are GHETTO comparatively.

The weather here is just like home, just at a higher altitude. At first I thought I was just really out of shape when we walked places, but I noticed that others are out of breath too when we walk up flights of stairs and stuff too.

Mexico City is just like New York City. . . except everything is in Spanish. Just walking down the streets feels like NYC. . . .odd huh?

I've been eating local food mostly. My only "homey" item is Coke. But the Cokes here are made with real sugar, not corn syrup like they are in the states. They are soooooo good! A 20 oz Coke is about $6 Pesos. I've learned to stay away from the green sauce, it burns. . . a lot. The red sauce is still spicy, but it won't set my mouth on fire. And sour cream is just called cream, and isn't standard with a Mexican meal.

I am having lots of language problems. I can only say a few phrases in Spanish, and those I can say I use a lot. I just wish I could order food for myself. I have to rely on others for help. Leo (he's a clown in the show) helped me order breakfast tacos this morning. Later Leo went out and bought Jeanne and I sandwiches. Which, is the most fantastic sandwich I've eaten in a long long time. It had ham, cheese, mayo, some kind of pepper like things and I don't know what else that gave it that kick. . . but DAMN that sandwich was good. Tomorrow I'm gonna try to remember to ask Leo to teach me how to order it.

I have to be up really early tomorrow, it's a four show day. . . and I'm still not 100% on everything I'm responsible for.