Thursday, January 12, 2006

My time here in Mexico City is almost over. On Monday we travel to Guadaljara.

This week we had Monday off. I went shopping at the upclass boutiques close to our hotel with Tracie and Charlotte. We had a lot of fun, and Tracie bought lots of stuff. Then we went to a very swanky little bar called "Whiskey." There we were hit on by some very nice Mexican gentlemen. One asked us, "Do you like Neil Diamond?" We thought it was the funniest thing we had heard all day.

On Tuesday, the three of us took off again and did a bus tour of the city. It was great, it took us all over. This city has lots of statues. Downtown they have a whole district where they have store after store, after booth after booth of jewelry. Lots of gorgeous stuff, and fantastic prices. (Remember $1.00 American is $10.00 Mexican.) I saw a necklace that I thought was stunning, silver and tanzite, but I couldn't bare to ask how much it was. (Afterall, I'm supposed to be getting out of debt.) During lunch, I couldn't stop thinking about it, so we tried to find it again. I couldn't find it and was totally bummed the rest of the afternoon.

On Wednesday, we took a company trip to The Basilica of Guadalupe and the Pyramids of Teotihuacan. The Basilica was my favorite of the two spots. It's the shrine, temple, church whatever that has been built where the Virgin Mary had appeared to a humble Indian. The church is gorgeous. Everyone visiting was moved, it has a very unique possibly even holy feeling to it. As I sat in the pews and listened to the choir sing Avia Maria, I was moved to tears. Really, quite gorgeous.

The Pyramids of Teotihuacan was neat, but not my normal cup of tea. Since we had no guide, I really didn't understand what they were. I knew that they were Aztec Pyramids built sometime B.C. I did climb the Pyramids, and I'm paying for it now. Each step came halfway up my calf. My legs are killing me and my right knee (my bum knee) is all out of whack. Also why we were there, there were many Mexicans trying to sell their goods. This is where bargaining skills come in. I was wearing a pair of sunglasses that I had acquired during my time at SeaWorld with the Fusion show. . . I traded my sunglasses for some silver bracelets. Then I traded my broken watch for a turtle flute. I had bought my watch at Target for $5.00 before I had left, and broke it shortly after arrival. And now I have no watch, but a cool turtle flute.

My real boss, Charlie, has finally arrived. Mexico has finally decided to let her into the country. She's put me hard at work, as she's been assessing the wear and tear on each costume. When we get to Japan, we will be doing lots of shows, and many promo events. Apparently the Japanese are crazy about Pooh. So we need to spend this time in Mexico to make the show into tip top shape.

I've been eating some really fanstastic food since I've gotten here in Mexico. There's this little food stand right across the street from the theatre we're working at that has amazing tortas. It's a sandwich of sorts with refried beans on it. The only "American" thing I've had since I've gotten here is a pizza from Pizza Hut. My roomie, Claudia, and I were really hungry and tired the other night and order a pizza. It tastes almost the same, except the crust is just a tad different. Probably because of the water here.

I'm happy to say, that I really like my job. During the day, I get to visit cool places, and at night I work. My co-workers are fun and I'm having a great time. I haven't found any love yet, but I'm not really looking. If it happens, it happens. Right now, I'm just happy.